Friday, July 15, 2011

Like the fish.

  "My name is Salmon, like the fish. First name, Susie. I was fourteen years old when I was murdered on December 6th, 1973." 
     Crazy, mischievous, cheerful, innocent and brave. These are just some of the characteristics, I think, Susie and I have in common. That is why I adore her. She is one of my favorite actresses in our generation.

     If I could be someone else, I'd be Susie Salmon in the novel The Lovely Bones. Susie, being a blissful and ecstatic young teenage girl, was raped and murdered by a pedophile who had killed other young girls like her. I'd like to be her not because of the tragedy that happened, but because she was still able to trace a smile on her face despite of all the incidents. Also, she was courageous and indomitable enough to accept that she was already bereft of life.

     Courage. The quality of our mind or spirit that enables us to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear. 

     Being brave, bold and fearless wasn't that hard for a superhero like Superman, but for us vulnerable, emotional and frail mortals, maybe it is. Taking one's courage in both hands is really distressing, though after finishing such work or action, it is really worth it.


"These are the lovely bones that grew around my absence."

No comments:

Post a Comment